The Quiz tool is very useful for setting up the online Quizzes and
Examinations. Some of the major features related to the Quiz tool are listed below:
- Create New Quiz
- Quiz List, Reorder, Delete and Preview Quizzes
- Course Statistics
- Question Library
Creating New Quiz
To create a new Quiz follow the steps below:
- When you are at the Course Home, Click the Quizzes link located on the course navigation bar.
- Click the New Quiz icon to create a new quiz. You
are brought to a screen with tabs: Properties, Restrictions, Attempts, Submission Views, and Layout/Questions. (See Figure 2)
- Properties Tab (Figure 2)
- Enter the Name of the Quiz in the Name field
- If you want the quiz to be under an already existing category, Select the desired
option from the Drop down box. However, if you want to create a new category, Click on
- If you would like the quiz to be linked with the Grades, choose the
from the Drop down box, or you may add a new grade item by clicking on the link
Add Grade Item.
Note: If you are associating the quiz to a grade item, you can choose
to automatically export to the grades by checking the box below to it.
- Check the box beside Score to allow the students to view their score immediately after completion.
Optional Advanced Properties
- Check the box beside Hints if you want to allow hints.
- Put down your email address besides Notification Email box if you want
to be notified if any student completes a quiz attempt
- You can disable printing/Right click and Pager Access by clicking on the
check box next to it.
- If you want to add a general description of the quiz enter it in the
text box. The Description will be
displayed before the quiz is available.
- You may type an Introduction Message for the Quiz in the text box
provided. The introduction message is displayed at the start of the
- Similarly Page Header and Page Footer for the quiz can be added in the text area
provided and can be displayed to students or hidden be turning the message box on or off
- Restrictions Tab (Figure 3)
- Click the Restrictions Tab.
- Set the Status of the quiz by choosing
from the drop down box.
- Active - Students will be able to see the quiz and will be able to take the quiz according to dates set.
- Inactive - Students will not be able to see or take the quiz even if attempting to during set dates.
- To administer special access to the quiz check the box next to restrict to those with special access,
you can then decide to whom and when the quiz is allowed to take.
- Set up Start Date and End Date for the Quiz to specify the quiz beginning date and closing date. (These are optional)
- Additional Release Conditions - Click Add Existing to create a requirement that a student must complete before being able to take a quiz .
- You can set Advanced Restrictions by click on the link which will prompt
you to set up a password that will restrict students to attempt the quiz
- Set the Time Limit for the quiz by entering a number in the box
provided. You have options to enforce the time limit and to display a clock
to the students. Enable these options by placing a check in the boxes labeled Enforce and
- Set the grace period, this is the amount of time after the quiz
Time Limit has been exceeded, before the quiz is
marked late. You can also enforce the
late limit for the quiz submission by using the dropdown menu
- You can give special permissions to some students of your course by
icon. You are presented with a window containing the following options;
Start Date, End Date, Time Limit, Grace Period, and Late Limit. Set
these options as you did in the previous steps. Place a check in the
box next to each of the students names who should receive special access.
- Click the Save button.
- Attempts Tab (Figure 4)
- Click the Attempts tab.
- If you want to permit the students to take the quiz more than once, choose the number of Attempts
Allowed from the drop down box.
- Choose the Overall Grade Calculation method from the drop down box.
- Submission Views Tab (Figure 5)
- Click the Submission Views tab.
- If you want to change the default message after the quiz is submitted, then type the message in the
Message text box. You may use HTML by checking the box beside in HTML.
- Choose how you would like to display user responses. Check the box beside show Question Answers if you want
the correct quiz answers displayed to the student.
- To display the class average or the score distribution check the box
besides Show Class Average or Show Score Distribution, under Statistics.
- If you want an additional report to be printed, click the Add Additional View button. Here you may
add any supplementary information such as the Date to release the report, Message, User Answer's, and
- Layout/Questions Tab (Figure 6)
- Click the Layout/Questions tab.
- Click the Add/Edit Questions button.
If you have not created questions in the question library refer to the
Question Library and Question
Type sections of this tutorial for instruction on how to create
Note: the Question Library in the D2L
Quiz area is separate from the Question Library in the Survey area.
- If you have already created questions in the question library click the
- Choose the Import Source, Collection Source and Source
Section you wish the quizzes to be imported from.
- Select the questions you want to import by placing a check in the box
next to their name.
- Click the Save Button.
- Click the link Back to Quizzing Layout/Questions
- Put the number in the box to designate the number of questions to be
displayed per page and click Go
Note: Page breaks between the questions are represented by a
horizontal blue line.
- You may edit the value of each question by clicking the
button and entering the desired values in the provided text boxes.
- You may also create quiz questions one at a time by selecting the
question type from Create New Drop box option which will display
question category list.
- Select the question type.
- Enter the questions and answers to the form and then save it to add the
question to the quiz
- You can change the order of the quiz questions by clicking on
Order button and move questions up or down.
- You can move
question to a different category or delete
selecting the question by checking the box next to it and then clicking the
- After completion, Click the Save Quiz button to save
the quiz you just created.
- You may view the list of Quizzes by simply clicking on the
icon. All active and inactive quizzes will be displayed under their
- You can change the listings view depending upon Availability or Category by
selecting from the drop box next to view option.
- On the right hand side of every quiz will have options for Previewing
and Quiz Statistics
- If you want to copy the quiz that already exists, Click the
Copy Quiz icon.
- Select the Quiz to copy from the Drop Down menu box.
a New Quiz Name
in the text box.
- Select the New Quiz Status from the drop down box.
the Create Copy button.
- If you want to change the display order of the current Quiz List , click the
Reorder Quiz icon.
- Select the Quiz
you want to move and Use the Up and Down arrows to move.
- Click the Save button.
- If you want to delete a Quiz, click the
Delete Quiz icon.
- Select the quiz you want to delete and click the Delete Selected button.
Follow the steps below to grade the Quizzes manually:
- Click the Quizzes link located on the course navigation bar.
- Click the Grade Quiz
icon beside the quiz that you want to grade.
- Click on Attempts or Questions tab if you want to see the attempts
made by the students or the response statistics of different questions
Note: In the Attempts view, you can choose to view the student list based
upon their groups or attempts made.
You can restrict the grading list based on
completion dates of the quizzes.
- Check the Allow Reset box if you want to override the score.
A reset icon
appear at the right hand side of each attempted quiz.
- Click on the icon to remove the attempted quiz. This will allow the student
to re-take the quiz.
- Click on the Attempt Number link below the student that you want to grade.
Note: The student's quiz will be displayed with a green checkmark indicating a correct
answer and a red X indicating an incorrect answer.
- If you would like to overwrite the score for an individual question do
so by changing
the value in the Score box.
- If you want, you can add feedback for each answer by clicking the
Add Feedback icon.
- Click the Recalculate button at the beginning of the quiz so your
changes are represented in the quiz score.
Note: If you the quiz to be automatically graded. Click
Auto-Grade button next to Recalculate.
- Click the Save Results icon.